3949 Wilmington Ave St Louis, MO 63116      314-481-1133

Parish History

SSP Architect Rendering Lower Res

SSP Original Architect Rendering (click for larger image)

The parish of St. Stephen Protomartyr was established by Archbishop John J. Glennon in 1926. Msgr. Joseph G. Hoelting was the founding pastor. Under his leadership he established St. Stephen School in 1927. In 1962 the current church was built and dedicated in 1964. The old church was converted into much needed classroom space and an addition was made on to the rectory. The Most Precious Blood Sisters staffed the school up until 1981. The convent was then converted into four new classrooms. The church was renovated and a parish center was built in 2006. The parish continues to grow and develop while supporting a school that is growing.

Neighboring parishes St. Boniface and Sts. Mary & Joseph merged with St. Stephen Protomartyr parish in 2005. Weddings and funerals can be held at the Chapel of Sts. Mary & Joseph located at 6304 Minnesota, St. Louis, MO 63111. (Google Maps)


Pastors of St. Stephen Protomartyr:

Rev. Ronald Hopmeir: 2008-present

Rev. Charles Barthel: 1997-2008

Rev. Gerald Meier: 1989-1997

Msgr. Patrick J. Molloy: 1970-1989

Msgr. Victor T. Suren: 1960-1970

Msgr. Joseph G. Hoelting: 1926-1960

Comments are closed.